Before having an abortion, you need to verify if your pregnancy is viable and how long you have been pregnant. The type of abortion you can have is determined by this information. The best way to learn the date of conception is to have an ultrasound. We offer free viability ultrasounds or referrals for a diagnostic ultrasound.
Review Our Abortion Checklist:
- Confirm your pregnancy. Before you make an appointment for an abortion, confirm that you’re actually pregnant. Contact Women’s Clinics Maryland for a free pregnancy test.
- Discover whether your pregnancy is viable and how far along you are. Up to 25% of early pregnancies end in a natural miscarriage, avoiding the need for an abortion. Our licensed medical staff can schedule a free viability ultrasound for you to accurately date your pregnancy and provide other important information that may determine what abortion options are available to you.
- Get tested for STDs. If you have an undiagnosed STD during your abortion procedure, it may cause complications following the abortion. Complications include Pelvic Inflammatory Disease which can lead to infertility. Contact us to make an appointment for free STD/HIV testing before your abortion procedure.
- Get truthful information on abortion procedures. Be sure you understand the abortion methods that may be available to you and what to expect during the procedure. Contact us to discuss your abortion options.
- Learn about possible side effects and risks. There are possible physical, psychological and emotional side effects.
- Get your questions answered beforehand. It’s normal to have questions before any major medical procedure. Are you wanting answers about these:
- How much does an abortion cost?
- How do I know if I’m even pregnant?
- Will you tell someone if we talk?
- Is abortion the only thing I can do?
- Does it hurt to get an abortion?
- Make sure you are not being pressured. Only you know whether an abortion is right for you. No one can decide for you, pressure you, or force you to have an abortion, even if you’re a minor. Forced abortion is against the law.
- Talk to a confidential source. Abortion is a big decision. Having someone to talk to and provide support can give you the confidence you need to know you’re making the right decision for yourself.
- Parental notification requirements. If you’re under 18 years old and you’re seeking an abortion, you should know, according to Maryland law, some clinics require you to notify your parents about your decision to have an abortion. However, no parental notification is needed to visit Women’s Clinics Maryland.
Believe it or not, you do have options for your unplanned pregnancy. Although abortion may seem like a quick way “to get rid of the problem,” there are lingering after effects. If you have questions about abortion procedures or are curious about the options available to you, contact us. It costs nothing to chat. You and your future are important. We’re here for you.
Women’s Clinics Maryland neither performs nor refers for abortion.